Do you want to complete Trial of the Champion dungeon and need to beat The Black Knight in World of Warcraft?
One of the dungeons in Crusaders’ Coliseum in World of Warcraft is the Trial of the Champion. This is a 5-player dungeon with three encounters. Each instance rewards a Champion’s Seal once completed in Heroic mode.
This event can be initiated by talking to Jaeren Sunsworn or Arelas Brightstar in the center of the coliseum once your party is mounted in their Argent Warhorses.
The Black Knight is the final boss you’ll encounter in the Trial of the Champion. He returned as the final boss of this encounter in patch 3.2.0 and was revealed in The Black Knight’s Curse and The Black Knight’s Fate quests that the Cult of the Damned resurrected him.
All players will encounter him after they’ve defeated three grand champions of the opposing faction and Argent Confessor Paletress or Eadric the Pure.
In this guide, we will show you how to tackle this encounter to beat The Black Knight in World of Warcraft.
Let’s get started!
The Black Knight Encounter Strategy
In this encounter, your raid must defeat The Black Knight in three forms, separated into three stages.
Phase One: Corporeal Form
After Black Knight’s introduction, the first phase of this encounter will immediately start. Your tanks should start building threat while melee and ranged damage dealers should begin dealing damage to The Black Knight.
Several seconds after starting the first phase, mobs will spawn, and tanks should pick them up. The boss has an attack that sends a raid member flying back, similar to the one he uses on the NPC at the start.
Once you’ve killed the ADS, go back to attacking The Black Knight.
You can also simply lure the ADS away from the fight using a priest with Shackle Undead, a Paladin using Fear, or a Hunter using Ice Trap. When The Black Knight dies, the ghoul will explode on its own.
Phase Two: Skeleton Form
Before the second round starts, the raid must gather on the corpse of The Black Knight in the initial phase. Once he respawns in his Skeleton Form, The Black Knight will cast an ‘Army of the Dead‘ spell.
The ghouls will have very low HP, and their explosive AoE can be prevented if killed fast enough.
For raids with heavy AoE DMG, you can kill the ghouls fast by simply using your AoE abilities in the tight group. This ensures that all ADS are evenly damaged and die at almost the same time.
Another strategy that can work for these ADS is ‘quick focus fire order’. Assign one DPS raid member to attack and burn down each of the ghouls fast enough to prevent any explosion damage.
Either of the strategies above can work, as long as the tank ensures to give off as much threat pull as possible without damaging them to the point where the ghouls’ AoE spell begins to channel.
Phase Three: Ghost Form
During the third phase, players must watch other raid members who receive the Marked for Death debuff since he’ll get the most damage in this stage.
There will be no ADS in the third phase, and you simply have to finish off The Black Knight.
If a Paladin is available on your raid, they can use Shadow Resistance Aura for the entire fight, particularly in the third stage, to stack Death’s Bite. On the other hand, priests can use Divine Hymn followed by spamming the Prayer of Healing to trivialize healing.
The Black Knight Abilities
Phase 1 & 2:
- Plague Strike (Heroic Mode) – The Black Knight performs a vicious strike that deals weapon damage and plagues the target with Blood Plague, which deals Shadow DoT.
- Blood Plague (Heroic Mode) – deals 1,755 to 1845 Shadow DMG every 2 seconds.
- Icy Touch (Heroic Mode) – inflicts around 2,925 to 3,075 Frost DMG to target and causes Frost Fever.
- Frost Fever (Heroic Mode) – a disease that deals 1,950 to 2,050 Frost DMG every 3 seconds, reducing target’s melee and ranged ATK SPD by 25% for 15 seconds.
- Obliterate (Heroic Mode) – instant attack that deals 125% weapon damage and 30% increased total damage per target.
- Death’s Respite (Heroic Mode) – stuns the target for 2 seconds and inflicts 8,288 to 8,712 Shadow DMG.
- Raised Dead – raises a Ghoul to fight by your side. Spawns either Arelas Brightstar or Jaeren Sunsworn, killed at the start of the fight.
- Ghoul Explode – triggers a Ghoul minion to explode. Channels for 5 seconds.
- Army of the Dead – calls an entire legion of Ghouls to fight for the Death Knight. Triggered at the start of the second phase.
- Ghoul Explode – The Black Knight forces a Ghoul to explode faster. Takes less than 1 second to cast.
- Desecration (Heroic Mode) – triggers desecrated ground at a target’s location. The affected area is slowed by 50% and lasts for 2 seconds. It also deals 1,170 to 1,230 Shadow DMG every 2 seconds.
- Death’s Bite (Heroic Mode) – deals 1,950 to 2,050 Shadowfrost DMG to enemies and increases Magic DMG taken by 5% for 15 seconds. This ability can stack.
- Marked for Death – The Black Knight marks a player for death, increasing magic damage taken by 200% for 10 seconds.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to beat The Black Knight in World of Warcraft. If you have questions or other concerns, please let us know in the comment section, and we’ll do our best to answer them.